Filming Androcentrism

After the test shoot, I had a clear idea in my mind what I wanted the visual style for my video art to be like- clear, crisp and lit well enough as to bring out the good in my participants insecurities.

From having a detailed look at my survey results, it became clear that the age range that cared most about the subject I am trying to question about male insecurities was 16 to 21 year olds. Although this may make others think that I am trapped in the world of student work and opinion, this is not the case as I back this up in a recent blogpost. Others may argue that I shouldn’t have restricted myself to an age band,but instead created a video art piece which would have acted as a comparative documentary almost, comparing what different age ranges think of themselves. However, within the time given I didn’t think that this would be possible, but leads me to the point of this module being about innovation, and I feel which ever way I would have approached this video, it still would have had a massive element of innovation.

During the filming stage, the main problem that I had to overcome was keeping the visual style consistent. This was hard for me at first, because although I knew what I wanted my video to look like, there was no room for indecisiveness. On the first person I filmed, I found myself becoming uneasy with the filming and having to keep reminding myself of the test shoot which I had previously conducted. I became impatient with the lighting and knowing how to direct the participant in the right way to get what I wanted to from the shot. At times I felt bad when asking participants to reveal what they most want to hide about themselves, and when saying in conversation about having a ‘good shot’ I was worried that this may have been taken in the wrong way, as for them to think that I thought I had a shot that made their insecurity look bad- when infact I wanted to do the exact opposite.

The lighting I didn’t change much, but found myself having to keep moving the light around in order for the participants to be lit properly. Something else that caused me trouble with the limited space in the room which I was filming in was using my fixed 50mm lens. Although this gave a stunning image, showing the details of the light and shadows falling onto the skin, it meant that most of the time I was pressed up against the wall trying to fit the subject in with a shot that I was pleased with.

In terms of the audio, although it didn’t take as long to do the recordings of peoples voices, I found that a lot more takes were necessary with some being nervous or making a joke out of what they were saying through embarrassment.

For others doing a small shoot like this on their own, it may not phase them as a big deal. However, with this being one of the first things I have had to film on my own with people infront of the camera, I couldnt help but feel a big sense of achievement when I had completed it.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Placing Your Work in Context 260MC. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s