This weekend I conducted a test shoot to ensure preparation for the real shoot in terms of testing different styles, getting the lighting correct for each and what can be expected for the final outcome. It helped me to make a realistic plan for myself in terms of knowing how long it will take me to set up on shoot days and also exactly where the lights need to be. Seeing as I am on a very tight schedule with finishing my two week work experience placement this coming week and apparently filming for my short film from 3rd-5th March, it is important I can get things done quickly and efficiently.
For this shoot, I only used one male and without asking the question that I plan to on my real shoot as I didn’t want the real thing to feel rehearsed when using this person. The unpredictability of how my real shoot could go excites me, as the answers I am given could be anything.
So, for this test shoot I set a couple of different scenarios.
The first was a front facing mid shot using three point lighting in the traditional way. For this visual style, I was bearing in mind my idea of dubbing voices, much like the video artist Gillian Wearing. I did like how this image turned out, however I wasn’t sure about having the person against a generic white wall as it seemed too flat. On the other hand, though it meant that there would be no distraction away from the person on screen and I found it also resembled the look to professional modelling photos, with the traditional white background that may be found on most magazine covers. This then juxtaposes the image with the background, making the male seem as though they are on the screen for being a beauty object, but instead they are talking of their insecurities.
Above is the lighting plan which I composed after setting up and finding the best way in which to light. As the room I’m filming in has white walls and is quite restricted on space, I had to reflect the back light off the wall instead of having point right at the subject. It was a very simple set up, just using a Canon 600D with a 50mm lens as well as a Dedo light kit.
The next wasn’t as successful as I had hoped. I had mentioned the idea of using blinds to create shadows in a recent blogpost. Although I tried it in a number of different ways, it didn’t work at all and mostly due to the blind style available. The blinds seemed to pour in too much light through them, as even when they’re shut you can still see plenty of day light through them, which makes me think that even if the shadows from the blinds would have worked, I don’t think the room would have physically been able to be dark enough to gain the full effect. Through disappointment I didn’t gain evidence of the shot even though it didn’t go expected to plan, although now I see that it would have been necessary to.
My final one focusing more on individual parts of the body. I chose to light it from only the left hand side and from the back. With this style, I plan to have the people talking over the shot talking about what they don’t like about their body in depth and showing the image at the same time. Although this over writes the element of ‘If you show on screen you don’t need to tell’ which I have always been told, but I want to do this in order to break down the barrier and formality of a face interview. I don’t feel that the audience will be expecting the match of what they’re hearing to what they’re seeing, and hopefully will give them an element of shock when males are talking of their insecurities and especially exposing them publicly. Notably, when seeing their insecurities in detail, this will make the audience question themselves as to whether they would be prepared to be put in this situation, thus provoking a number of different opinions. For example, whether it is necessary for people to be showing parts of their body they aren’t happy with and the audience may have a different opinion on the persons ‘insecurities’.